Local KSN News

Subscribe to Local KSN News feed Local KSN News
Wichita, KS News Weather and Sports
Updated: 1 hour 2 min ago

Police arrest suspect wanted in Wichita murder after chase

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 10:06

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police arrested an 18-year-old wanted in a murder earlier this summer. It happened Thursday morning after a police chase in north Wichita near 24th and Market.

According to officer Charley Davidson, police received some information on a homicide suspect possibly hiding out in a home in the 3300 block of Jackson.

Timothy Golden (KSN File Photo)

As the suspect was leaving, he got into a blue Acura. Officers attempted to stop the car. During the chase, a woman was able to exit the car. She was taken into custody to be questioned. The suspect continued to flee until he struck a black Mitsubishi driven by a 27-year-old woman. The woman was transported to the hospital for minor injuries.

The 18-year-old suspect was arrested in connection to the murder in the 500 block of South Laclede. The victim in that murder was 19-year-old Timothy Golden, a football player. He was shot and killed.

Right now, police have the intersection near 24th and Market blocked off as they investigate. Power crews were also called to repair lines that were damaged after the chase.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.

Categories: Local KSN News

White House considers replacing Secretary of State Tillerson with CIA Director Mike Pompeo

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 09:40
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson answers a reporters question about North Korea while he meets with German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel, left, at the State Department in Washington, Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017. The White House is discussing a plan to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson with CIA director Mike Pompeo, according to an administration official, who sought anonymity to discuss internal thinking. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House is discussing a plan to oust Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and replace him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo in a major shake-up of President Donald Trump’s national security team, two administration officials said Thursday.

The move would put Pompeo, a former congressman who has grown close to Trump during his tenure atop the CIA, in charge of U.S. diplomacy. Tillerson, the former Exxon Mobil CEO, has had a rough first year characterized by tensions with Trump in several foreign policy areas and negative publicity over Tillerson’s envisioned overhaul of the State Department.

U.S. officials and other individuals familiar with White House thinking said the plan that’s been floated envisions Sen. Tom Cotton as the most likely candidate to take over Pompeo’s job at CIA. Cotton’s office wouldn’t comment on that possibility, other than to say: “Senator Cotton’s focus is on serving Arkansans in the Senate.”

It wasn’t clear how quickly such a plan might be put in place, nor whether Pompeo had been formally approached about it. A White House official said that the timing remains unclear. The New York Times, which first reported the potential shake-up, said it would likely happen within several weeks.

Several administration officials said that Pompeo has said in the past that he’s open to taking the job.

Tillerson aides and the State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The White House started telling people in September that Tillerson would be replaced, said a senior administration official. By that point, some issues that needed sign-off from the secretary of state were being put off until after Tillerson was gone, said the official, who like others wasn’t authorized to comment publicly and demanded anonymity.

Categories: Local KSN News

Inmate death reported at Cowley County Jail

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 08:35

COWLEY COUNTY, Kan. (KSNW) – Officials in Cowley County report an inmate death at the county jail.

At approximately 7:10  p.m. Wednesday, an inmate at the Cowley County Jail was found unresponsive.

The inmate has been identified by Sheriff David A. Falletti as 33 year-old Jesse Crable of Winfield.

An autopsy has been scheduled for Thursday. Additional information will be released at a later time.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.

Categories: Local KSN News

Records: Taxpayer cash spent to track official’s ex-mistress

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 08:23

FRONTENAC, Kan. (AP) – Court records say a former southeast Kansas city administrator spent taxpayer money on GPS devices and monitoring services that he used to track his former mistress.

The new details about Doug Sellars were included in the arrest affidavit that the Pittsburg Morning Sun obtained. Sellars is charged with official misconduct, misdemeanor stalking and three other felonies.

The affidavit alleges that Sellars embezzled $8,000, spending some of it on the GPS devices that he hid inside his former mistress’ car bumper.

Sellars began working as the Frontenac city clerk in 2004 after more than a decade with the city’s police department. He was appointed interim city manager in 2014. Sellars resigned from both positions in 2015.

A woman who answered the phone at his home hung up after declining to comment.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.

Categories: Local KSN News

What North Korean photos say about new ballistic missile

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 07:59

TOKYO (AP) — North Korea released dozens of photos Thursday of the Hwasong-15, a new intercontinental ballistic missile it claims can reach any target in the continental United States. The photo dump, published in the paper and online editions of the ruling party’s official daily, is a goldmine for rocket experts trying to parse reality from bluster.

Their general conclusion is that it’s bigger, more advanced and comes with a domestically made mobile launcher that will make it harder than ever to pre-emptively destroy. But there’s a potentially major catch: it might not have the power to go much farther than the West Coast if it is loaded down with a real nuclear warhead, not a dummy like the one it carried in its test launch on Wednesday.

Here’s a closer look:


The North’s new missile appears to be significantly bigger than the Hwasong-14 ICBM it tested twice in July. Note how it dwarfs North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who stands about 170 centimeters (5 feet 7 inches) tall. In a tweet just after the photos were published, Michael Duitsman, a researcher at the Center for Nonproliferation Studies in Monterey, California, said: “This is very big missile … And I don’t mean ‘Big for North Korea.’ Only a few countries can produce missiles of this size, and North Korea just joined the club.” Size is important because a missile targeting the United States would have to carry a lot of fuel. Duitsman also suggested the new ICBM appears to have a different engine arrangement and improved steering.



North Korea boasted repeatedly in its announcement of the launch Wednesday that the Hawasong-15 was fired from a domestically made erector-launcher vehicle. Its photos back that up. Being able to make its own mobile launch vehicles, called TELs, frees the North from the need to get them from other countries, like China, which is crucial considering the tightening of international sanctions that Pyongyang faces. TELs make it easier to move missiles around and launch them from remote, hard-to-predict locations. That makes finding and destroying the Hawasong-15 before a launch more difficult.



North Korea claims the Hwasong-15 can carry a “super-heavy” nuclear payload to any target in the mainland United States. The re-entry vehicle, that nose cone in the photo, does indeed look quite large. But the heavier the load the shorter the range. Michael Elleman, a leading missile expert, has suggested in the respected 38 North blog that Hwasong-15’s estimated 13,000-kilometer (8,100 mile) range assumes a payload of around 150 kilograms (330 pounds), which is probably much lighter than any real nuclear payload the North can produce. To get to the West Coast, the North needs to keep that weight down to 500 kilograms (1,100 pounds). Whether it can do that remains questionable. “Kim Jong Un’s nuclear bomb must weigh less than 350 kilograms (800 pounds) if he expects to strike the western edges of the US mainland,” Elleman esitmated. “A 600-kilogram (1,300-pound) payload barely reaches Seattle.”


Talmadge is the AP’s Pyongyang bureau chief. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at erictalmadge.

Categories: Local KSN News

Traffic changes in north Wichita

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 07:35

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Drivers in North Wichita will notice more orange cones on southbound I-235 and westbound K-96.

Crews are working on bridge repairs over the Little Arkansas River.

The entrance ramp to SB I-235 and WB K-96 is closed. Just a few miles west, closer to the bridge, crews reduced traffic to the left lane.

A Kansas Department of Transportation spokesman said the bridge over the Little Arkansas River has damage underneath it. In order for crews to make the necessary repairs, they need less vibration from traffic.

According to officials, drivers should expect the ramp and lane closures to affect morning and evening commutes.

“Those commuters that use that route, we’re going to see some congestion there and you may want to choose a different route,” said KDOT spokesman Tom Hein.

Due to the traffic congestion, Hein is asking drivers to be aware of crews in the work zone.

“This is one of those work zones that’s popped up a little bit as a surprise to all of us,” he said. “So respect that work zone and be careful traveling through it.”

There have been 100 crashes in work zones along I-235, according to KDOT.

Officials said drivers should watch their speed, leave space between their car and the car in front, and put cell phones down.

This week, AAA Kansas released a report that shows traffic accidents in the state are up more than 12-percent this year.

Kansas Highway Patrol puts most of the blame on distracted driving.

The lane and ramp should reopen tomorrow, depending on how quickly crews finish the bridge repairs.

Stay up to date on traffic changes by visiting KDOT’s website or Twitter.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.

Categories: Local KSN News

Lauer releases statement saying he is sorry to anyone hurt by actions

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 06:54

Matt Lauer says he is “truly sorry” to anyone he is hurt by his words and actions in his first public comments since being fired by NBC.

Lauer’s former “Today” show co-host Savannah Guthrie read a statement from Lauer at the top of Thursday’s show, a day he was fired by NBC for “inappropriate sexual behavior.” Published reports accuse Lauer of crude and habitual misconduct with other women around the office.

Lauer says in the statement: “Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized. But there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed or ashamed.

He says “repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching” and says he’s “committed to beginning that effort.”

There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.

Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.

Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.

Categories: Local KSN News

Trump administration halts school lunch salt reduction

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 06:43

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration announced Wednesday that it is pausing enforcement of an Obama-era plan to further reduce the amount of salt in school lunches.

The Obama administration had set targets that envisioned school reducing the amount of sodium in school meals each year.

But the Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service said Wednesday that it would keep the current targets for sodium levels reductions unchanged through 2019. Those targets are currently not more than 1,230 mg per meal for elementary, 1,360mg for middle and 1,420 mg for high schools.

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has said previously that relaxing the restrictions is necessary because children simply don’t eat the healthier meals and the food gets thrown away. The Trump administration has also been pushing for deregulation across many agencies.

But Margo Wootan with the Center for Science in the Public interest criticized the decision, saying that the current high school lunch target represented two-thirds of a child’s daily sodium intake and needed to be lowered.

“It’s too much salt,” Wootan said. “This is locking in dangerously high levels of salt in school meals.”

Obama’s provisions also said that school meals must be rich in whole grains, but it allowed school districts to apply for waivers if they felt they couldn’t procure enough whole-grain products. Healthy food advocates had hoped that the waivers were going to be prohibited, but the Trump administration is keeping them.

“There is no reason for the waiver program anymore,” Wootan said. “”If they can get whole grain in Montana, why can’t they have whole grain in Michigan?”

Categories: Local KSN News

Fire destroys home in south Wichita

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 05:10

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – An early morning house fire destroys a home in south Wichita.

Just after 1:30 this morning, fire crews responded to a fire near the corner of East Gilbert and Christine. That is southeast of Edgemoor and Kellogg.

According to the Wichita Fire Department, a neighbor saw flames engulfing the house and called 911. When firefighters arrived, the house was engulfed in fire and took over a half hour to control.

No one was injured in the fire. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.

Categories: Local KSN News